Sunday, November 1, 2015

Litter Test

Chewy.com sent us a box of new litter to try last month.  I am never picky about what Mum puts in the box, as long as I can do my business in it, I'm cool with any kind.  Pine, paper, clumping, non-clumping, crystals, I've used it all.  This makes me a great candidate for a litter trial.   We got some Simple Solution, 30 day litter and here are my thoughts. 


Looking at the box, it looks like a great product, some of it's attributes are: 
Powerful odor elimination
3x more absorbent than other litters
No urine scooping
50% lighter than other products




Let me tell you how the litter works.  You saw the part about not having to scoop urine, that means that it doesn't clump, so you scoop the poos and then stir around the rest of it. and it  absorbs the urine and the odor.  When it comes to peeing, I'm no dainty diva.  I'm a man cat, who has recently started on a urinary focused diet plan that makes me pee copiously, (you may recall my recent peeing problem). It worked very well for a few weeks, but then the litter that you stir around to dry out the urine, would no longer dry out and absorb the smells.  On October 15th, Mum filled my box with the Simple Solution, 30 Day litter.  That means it should last until the middle of November.  Well, we had to change it out on October 30th. You may be saying to yourself, but that's not 30 days.  No it is not.  I think its because I have some strong urine, I bet for a smaller cat, possibly a lady cat, this would last longer.  This has happened on all of the so called long lasting litter that I have used, it never lasts as long as advertised.


The weirdest part about this litter is the color, it's pink when dry, then when it gets wet its darker pink, almost red, Mum found that to be kind of unnerving. When she poured it in, it was extremely dusty, the dust did settle, but after the initial pour there was a lingering cloud above the box for about a minute, she didn't like that it would come back up when I did my vigorous litter kicking.   

Overall, for the time that it worked, it didn't have a noticeable smell of its own, which we liked, but when it stopped working, woowee it got smelly with a quickness, that was some nose stinging ammonia stench.  It was effective at first, but lost its power.  I don't think we'll be buying it, but if you want some, the website says they sell it at Walmart, but of course you can get all the things that I review from Chewy.com.

As always, I thank Chewy.com for allowing me to try out products in return for unbiased reviews.  I always love seeing that Chewy.com box on the porch.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Meow you actually used it? We wuldn't even fink about usin' dat piink stuff. And mommy hated all da dust too. And da more she fawt 'bout da not scoopin' da happiier she got 'bout us not usin' it. Gweat review, sowry it didn't work fur you eever.

Luv ya'

Dezi and Lexi

http://dezizworld.com

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Sounds like a pretty mixed review. We have a couple of different types we use, and one is kind of the same idea as this one, only its white and sandy. It's actually pretty cool, not dusty at all and holds up with two or three cats using it for a few weeks (my human isn't sure if Boodie uses it or not 'cause she rarely sees her using the litter box). It's called Almost Invisible Cat Litter.

pilch92 said...

My cats used it, but I couldn't stand the perfumey smell or the dust.

The Island Cats said...

We wouldn't like the dusty part of it. Thanks for the honest review.

Kitties Blue said...

Thanks for testing this. Our Mom almost selected this for our October product, but then read reviews about how dusty it is. So she selected something else. Now we know that this would definitely not work in a household of eight kitties. Thanks for the super honest review. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

Secret Paws 2023- a delayed review

 Hi furrends!! Buckwheat here for our annual Secret Paws thank you blog post.  This year we traded gifts with BJ Bangs and crew. Thanks to t...