Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Pee Problems

Those who follow me and Mum on the Facebook will already know all about this, but I think we have some of both followers, so I wanted to share here too.
Today I went to see Dr. Hudson, bleh, I don't like visiting him one bit.  

Yesterday Mum looked in my box and only saw several little marble sized pee clumps in the litter, none of my large mountain lion sized clumps.  This caused her concern, because being the mum of a neutered male cat, she is aware of the risk of urine crystals and blockages.  Every time I'd go in the box last night, she'd go in after me and look in the litter.  I made a few more marbles, but only after squatting for about a minute. She decided she didn't want to risk it so as soon as they opened this morning, she was calling to make an appointment.

We got there, I was not happy about it from the start.  We had to sit in the lobby for many minutes waiting for all these dogs to go in ahead of me (all 2 of them) and during that time these two office dwelling cats were being very nosy about me.  This little orange one came right up and stuck his smug face right in front of my PTU door.  I did what any sane cat who is locked up, would do to a smug introoder cat, I hissed at him.  Mum told him that was not a good idea, then pick him up and moved him away.  Then this little black and white one almost did the same thing, but mum moved him away before I got too offended by him.
The tech, Ashley (the one who tagged my PTU - Sweet William the first time I went there for a dental) knows me, and knows that I am very uncooperative with them told mum that Doc wasn't going to look at me without sedating me, this for everyone's safety.  Mum was fine with that, so they took me to the back, yes the dreaded "back", and she left me there..  The nerve she has. I don't know much of what happened next, so Mum will give her interpretation of what Ashley and Doc Hudson told her.

Basically they took him in the back and knocked him out, because he won't let them really touch him, much less palpate his bladder which was necessary, if he's awake. They did a urinalysis and found blood in the urine and white blood cells, which told them that he had an infection and cystitis in the bladder, but saw no crystals or sediment, which was very good news. They injected some polyglycan to relax the bladder and stop any spasms, inserted a catheter to clean out the urethra, also did bloodwork, which looked good.  He got an injection of meloxicam for a pain reliever and convenia which is an anti-biotoic that will last him 2 weeks.  They say he has Feline Urological Syndrome.  He should be fine in a day or two and then I continue to monitor his box usage and behavior just as always.  I am asking for suggestions or personal experiences on handling FUS in your cats, so please share any stories or recommendations on feeding and maintainance.  You can email at williesnapp@gmail.com, comment below or on the Cats With Blogs facebook post that I put up.

Thanks Mum.    Now I'm home relaxing, but I still feel that sedative. My bladdery area feels all painy and stuff, so I'm sitting around looking confused and goofy right now.  I hope the feeling goes away soon.  I don't like it much at all.  


Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Paws up to your human for being proactive and getting you to the vet so quickly! 'Cause as you know, it could have been worse if left longer. My human hasn't had a male cat in over 20 years and this is an issue we haven't had to deal with, so I have no suggestions. I'm sure other cat bloggers will!

Crafting Queen said...

Poor baby you had a very rough day. Hope you feel better real soon. Sending purrs.

Hannah and Lucy said...

What a rotten day you had and we hope you will soon feel much better.
Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

da tabbies o trout towne said...

dood...de manee blessingz oh st francis two ewe....

we dunno what ya "like" two eat...but stay a way frum kibble
if ya can....unless its "urinary specific"

best two drink lotz....{ water that iz } !!!!

and eat canned because oh de water content...yur mom can all sew add
sum water two yur canned food...think oh it az gravee ☺

all sew.... whether it still holds troo ore knot
{ sinz studiez "change" all de time; we haz all ways
hurd de fish flavors R... knot.... good while recovering

best two ee & hope ya get ta feelin 100 purr cent better
reel lee soon ~~~

Alexandra and Deztinee High said...

Oh sweet William weez so sowry yous havin this twubble. Weez did see it on facebook and weez sendin lots of purrayers. Meez sis Lexi had teo bwofurs wiff these types of purroblems. Discovery was too late fur one of them, but da udder was managed fur years wiff diet and medicines fur flair ups. Now dat sis Lexi has CKD she be purrone to these as well so mommy be purro-active. We boff get a dose od d-Mannose everyday (1/8 tsp). And sissy gets anudder dose at dinner time. Me is healffy but mommy dusn't wanna take any chances and it won't hurt me is why I get a dose. It won't take da place of antibiotics duwin a flair up, but might help keep them at bay. It's safe to give 1/4-1/2 tsp. 2 times a day. Wet noms awe bestest dat be low in ash. And avoid fish cuz it usually be purretty high in ash. Anyways weez'll quit ramblin and ifin yous mommy wuld like to discuss anyfin wiff mommy feel furee to email us at lexi.dezi@yahoo.com

Luv ya

Dezi and Lexi. Http:dezizworld.com

pilch92 15andmeowing said...

Poor guy, I will be praying you feel better soon.

The Island Cats said...

William, we're sorry you got pee problems. We purr you feel better soon and have no more problems.


No I'm not talking about the ham like stuff that comes in can, but email SPAM.    I'm sure glad that my Gmail pays attention to ...